Wednesday, September 17, 2014

BATTLE ANGEL ALITA Fan Project

Please watch this VIDEO first, directed by Forrest McClain.

Battle Angel Alita is a manga (japanese comic book) produced by Yukito Kishiro and is my favorite comic. The detailed artwork and sci-fi storyline has greatly influenced my own art and person. It takes place in a post-apocalyptic future where androids, cyborgs and robots are commonplace. The main character is named Alita, a cyborg whose memories are gone and is discovered in a junkyard by a cybernetics doctor named Ido who rebuilds her. The storyline is about her attempts to rediscover her past, along the way fighting foes with the only memory of her past, her mastery of the cyborg martial art Panzer Kunst. She first becomes a bounty hunter, then a motor ball player (think speed skating gladiators), and eventually a messiah in the second series Battle Angel Alita: Last Order. James Cameron currently owns the film rights, which I was ecstatic for, but he's decided to focus on the Avatar sequels instead (which I don't mind). He's my favorite filmmaker, so my fingers are crossed he'll still do it.
Anyway, I've been contacted to work on a fan project for Alita, a live action production for a possible web series. I jumped at the chance since Alita is such a strong influence in my life and here are storyboards for the initial short film. We hoped to used these boards to build up interest in the possible web series. I decided to fully render them in a more digital painting style.








No comments:

Post a Comment